Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

Hi, am currently living In a property which is in the name

Customer Question

Hi, am currently living In a property which is in the name of my ex. We broke up for over five years now, he bought a property and live on his own, there's no kids involved. Am the one who has been paying the rent for the five years since he left. My question is do you think I have any rights to enable me to get this porperty that am living at in my name. Its housing association who owns the property.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If your ex won't sign over the tenancy to you on a voluntary basis you'll, have to apply to the court for an order for you to get the tenancy in your name.
You can read the following which will give you the information you need.
http://m.england.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/23393/ShelterGuide_RelationshipBreakdown.pdf
I hope this helps. Please leave a postitive response so that I am credited for my time.