LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I am the owner of 120, Ravensbourne Avenue Bromley, Kent BR2

I am the owner of 120, Ravensbourne Avenue Bromley, Kent BR2 0AX. Looking down the garden, my Title Deeds show a cross on the left-hand boundary fence and a cross on the bottom fence adjacent to a stream bordering a golf course beyond. There is no cross on the right-hand side but the neighbour owning that property is maintaining that the border fence is a party fence for which I am liable to pay half towards repairs. How can I ascertain my liabilities?
Ron Smale.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

On what basis doe she assert this? When you bought the property what advice did your solicitor give you about responsibility to maintain the fences.

LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience: Experienced solicitor
Thank you for your question
My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to assist you.
If there is no T mark on the plans of either property then the boundary is indeed a joint responsibility.
HOWEVER that does not mean that you have to pay half the costs of maintaining it UNLESS the Title deeds state that that is the case.
It is open to either owner to erect a fence - but they cannot force the other owner to contribute.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details