Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

a person who previously owned our 6 acres still has the shooting

a person who previously owned our 6 acres still has the shooting rights but has not used them in over 20 years can we remove these rights?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We own 6 acres of land and a previous owner still has the shooting rights on it but has never exercised them in twenty years. We have offered to pay him to give up these rights but he has refused the offer is there any way we can get the rights removed?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, once a rigt has been granted or reserved (retained) in the deeds whether it’s the kind of right that you have a with regard to shooting or similarly fishing, or simply a right-of-way then the only way to get it removed is either by mutual agreement or if the person that has the rights buys your land..
It appears that neither of these is an option.
A right to use something or to do something on or with a piece of land does not cease to exist through non-use regardless of how long it’s not been used for and regardless of the fact that there may be some kind of viable alternative although that more relevant to rights-of-way.
I wish I could give you a more favourable answer but unfortunately in your case there isn’t one.