Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I let a flat to two people as joint tenants, when they stopped

I let a flat to two people as joint tenants, when they stopped paying the rent I issued a section 21 notice. One tenant moved out but the other is still there. I am awaiting a date for eviction from the county court bailiff, and want to start a separate county court action. My question is: as they are joint tenants and until they both move out I cannot get possession of the flat, are they both liable for the lost rent and costs?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I can confirm that they will be both jointly liable for the rent if the lease says they are "jointly and severally liable" and they are both named on and have signed the lease agreement.

Alex J. :

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer:

Am I correct in thinking that having made reasonable attempts to obtain payment my next step should be to ask for a county court debt order? Is so, how do I go about this?

Customer:

I am happy to have confirmation of the legal status of my claim. Thank you for your prompt response.