Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

how long does it take to alter the terms of the lease agre

Customer Question

how long does it take to alter the terms of the lease agreement?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are trying to sell a self-owned flat in a building being managed by a property firm. In order to put the sale through there needs to be some changes made to the lease agreement with this property firm. We have a buyer who is willing to wait for this paper work. However, our solicitor does not seem to be in any hurry to finish this. Some changes were required with the land registry office and these were undertaken when we explained the situation to the senior partner of the firm. but the main lease details that require changing are still with the junior member who does not answer our calls, nor confirms any time line for the job to be finished.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.

There is no reason why this should not be completed in a few weeks. It depends whether the landlord or the management company are replying to correspondence.
Even so, there is no reason why the solicitor should not give you a timescale estimate of how long this is going to take and what any delays are. In fact, when the solicitor sends you out the first terms of business and client care letter, he has to give you an estimate of how long the job is likely to take.

Write to the complaints partner in the firm explaining your concerns and asking for a reply within the next 14 days. If you don’t get a reply or the reply is unsatisfactory and doesn’t address your concerns then make a formal complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.