Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

, I am about renting a property and the landlord sent

I am about renting a property and the landlord sent me a short hold tenancy contract. She is rushing me to sign it before viewing the property (all I have are some online pics) and this sounds wrong to me, but she insist this is the procedure. I am new in this and not well informed, but I assume is possible the property look totally different and if I sign I am stuck with it. True?
Thank you so much.
Liliana Seul
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
It’s a difficult situation, in that the timings of his civil partnership dissolution and his visa place him in a really awkward situation.
You are correct in that his current spouse visa category does not permit him to switch to a student visa category without leaving the UK.
If you are not civilly partnered with him by the time that his current visa expires then he cannot successfully apply to switch in to an EEA partner category.
Obviously once you are partnered he can apply for an EEA residence card if he is in the UK at the time, or an EEA family permit if he is outside the UK.
The options are slim. If he is likely to receive the dissolution of his current civil partnership only very shortly after his visa expires then one option might be for him to put in an application which he knows will be rejected, but hope that the determination process takes sufficiently long so that his partnership is dissolved and that you/he are able to partner before the rejection is received.
If this happens then when the rejection of the application is received then he can simply apply immediately for an EEA residence card which he would likely receive provided that they do not consider the relationship to be one of convenience (you would submit detailed documentary evidence proving credibility on this point obviously),
If it is not likely that the dissolution will occur relatively shortly after his visa expires then it seems at the moment his only option would be to return to his home country until it is dissolved.
I’m really sorry that the options are slim.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My question was about a property ... nothing related to this ...

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I pasted the wrong answer.
Your answer is as follows:-
"
There is no set procedure, but I would caution in the strongest possible terms against signing it before viewing the property.
If the property is not accurate in comparison to the pictures the you are going to be in really sticky situation and left with a dispute which could potentially involve litigation, which is a position that no one wants to be in.
You should not sign unless you have viewed the property. State to the landlord that you require a visit before signing and that you consider it is unrealistic to expect you to sign without viewing. If she refuses to let you view the property, then there will be a reason which is most likely that the property’s condition does not accord with the pictures.
It seems highly unlikely that there is another person so desperate to take the property that they would do so without viewing and so provided you can view within a couple of days then it should not prejudice your position.
Kind regards,
Tom
"
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.