75100385

I have a leasehold ground floor shop/office and behind is a

Customer Question

I have a leasehold ground floor shop/office and behind is a grnd floor flat, above is a upper flat. Th new freeholder ( who owns and lives in the bottom ground floor flat ajoining my office had insrtucted solicitors to contact me regards ***** ***** rent (£17.50 per six months) and he stated that I owed one year in payments. I never received any demand from this new freeholder in any way and the property has been up for sale and empty for the last four years and my direct telephone number is ***** listed on the front of the building with a for sale sign, he did not contact me in any way. The solicitors wrote to me with a demand for the rent of £51.00 which I paid by return, however shortly afterwards they then wrote to me and requested that I pay an additional bill to them for £890.00 for time and information that they had given to the new freeholder, I told them that I would not pay under any circumstances as I should have been contacted by recorded delivery of phone in the first instance ( how can I pay somebody that I do not know exists). I heard nothing back from them for almost 9 months but they have now written to me and say thet due to a clause in the lease that have the right to demand this money and if I dio not pay in full within 14 days under the 1925 law of property act they are serving a notice section 146 and intend for me to forfeiting the lease as I have broken the covenant that states that I must pay any monies due and manner on the dates specified on the lease. They verified 9 months ago that I had paid the ground rent due but the issue is the costs to them that are in question, how do I stand on this please, ps they have now also upped the figure to £1546.00 for the extra work of arranging this for their client. Yours Ian XXXX

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Have they said when the demand was purported to have been served?