Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

We live in Scotland and rent from a private landlord.

We live in Scotland and rent from a private landlord. We have a short assured tenancy drawn up with a solicitor. Our rent was agreed on this let. Our landlord has upped our rent by £100.00 pounds is she entitled to do this?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The rent can be increased during the initial term of a short assired tenancy unless the lease itself provides . On a renewal of the lease the rent can be reviewed.
Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are saying the rent can be increased?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes but not during the initial term unless the lease says so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The initial term being the first six months or as long as we have the lease?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The initial term is the first six months and the rent can't be reviewed during that period. It can be reviewed prior to any renewal thereafter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I note after asking my question and paying the fee of £26.00 that another 36.00 has been taken from my bank account. Can you tell me why

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't know how that part of the site operates, I will refer you to customer services.