LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I sold my house and rented it back with the agreement that

Customer Question

I sold my house and rented it back with the agreement that I could stop in it as long as I wanted but now they have sent me a solicitors letter saying that under the housing act, they want to sell it on. I have not missed a months rent ever, will it be worth me getting a solicitor of my own involved or not
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

I am a solicitor with over 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Was this agreement in writing.

Customer:

sorry its took time to reply as im at work. ive had a quick look through my papers & I cannot find anything

LondonlawyerJ :

OK, so there is nothing in writing. What was agreed verbally? Anything more than you have put in the question? Did you sell to family members? It is fine if you get back to me after work this evening as I will look at this site at some point this evening.

Customer:

that I could stay in the property rest of my life if I wanted to, no I did not sell to family members

LondonlawyerJ :

Is there anything anywhere recording that agreement of a lifetime tenancy? A note by you at the time perhaps? A letter from a solicitor to you? etc

Customer:

I will have a look & let you know as soon as possible

Customer:

very busy at work, could you please e.mail tomorrow thanks

LondonlawyerJ :

yes sure when you let me know I will try to answer you.

Customer:

found a letter from me to them dated 23/2/14 saying I had an agreement to stay in the property as long as I wanted, that is the reason I agreed to sell

Customer:

it will be tomorrow morning now as I only have access to a computer at work

LondonlawyerJ :

OK that is good. It is certainly better than nothing. This is a situation that is quite complex legally and quite difficult in terms of evidence. It would be a very good idea to get a solicitor involved on your side in the usual face to face way. Follow this link and look local solicitor unde "houses, property, neighbours".

Customer:

thank you very much

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

seen a solicitor face to face and there is nothing I can do about it, thanks for your help in this matter