Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

As a tenant what are my rights if the landlord wants to sell

As a tenant what are my rights if the landlord wants to sell the property? Can he show prospective buyers round and do I have to move out?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
It depends on the type of agreement.
However, if you are on an AST then he can bring that to an end by serving a S21 notice upon you but not before the end of the agreement. Thereafter though he can evict you by court order if necessary I'm afraid.
He is entitled to 'reasonable access' which does involve showing buyers around in the last few months of the agreement. He does need to give you notice of no less than 48 hours by received means though and it should be by mutual convenience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Jo

There isnt a written rental agreement in being....

what effect does that have?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
The worst it would mean is that it is a periodic tenancy agreement which would still need a S21 notice to bring it to an end giving you two months notice.
He cannot just ask you to leave at the end of the week.