75100385

, I have a 6 month short hold tenancy agreement jointly with

Hi, I have a 6 month short hold tenancy agreement jointly with my partner, which expires on the 14th Feb 15 and will convert to a periodic agreement once it expires. My question is, if either myself or my partner wish to give the required one months notice to leave the property and terminate their part of the agreement, are they still responsible for the payment of their part of the monthly rent, if the other person does not also give notice and wishes to remain in the property?
Thanks & Regards
Brian
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Are you both named on the agreement please?

Customer:

Hi Alex

Customer:

Yes we are. But as my partner is refusing to contribute to any of the rent (or service costs), I am having to pay it all.

Customer:

Thaks

Customer:

Brian

Alex Watts :

Either of you can end the agreement. This will bring the agreement and the liability of one party to an end.

Alex Watts :

If the party that wishes to stay wants to, they can secure another rental agreement from the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

This then releases the other party that does not want to stay

Alex Watts :

So yes it can be ended and a new agreement entered into.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Okay that's what I would have thought, but the letting agents have said that if I give the required one month's notice and then leave the property, until my partner writes to confirm that she wants to terminate her part and confirm she will also leave the property, then we are still both liable for paying the rent! If I understand you correctly, then this is not the case and I can leave without any further obligation to pay the rent etc. and I will not be at risk of any court / lagal action etc.

Customer:

Thanks & Regards

Customer:

Brian

Alex Watts :

Either party can terminate the tenancy.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes many thanks Alex.