cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

My employer is thinking of selling the business to another

Customer Question

My employer is thinking of selling the business to another owner can they make me redundant if my job is still there or does the new owner have to employ me.
Expert:  cityguru replied 2 years ago.
thanks question. The answer depends upon what they are selling. If the employer is a limited company and they sell the company then your employment remains the same although the new owner of the company could make you redundant. If they are selling the business the your employment is protected by the Transfer of Undertakings Protection of Employment legislation and your employment would automatically transfer and if you were made redundant before or at the time of the transfer it would be automatically unfair dismissal and you would have a claim.
So you ought to be reasonably protected.