75100385

The property we are currently renting on a assured short term

The property we are currently renting on a assured short term tenancy that doesn't expired until the end of June has been sold. The new landlord has fell out with the letting agent and want to change agents. The new agents want us to sign a new tenancy agreement as they deem our current contract to be illegal. We have spoken to the new owner and said we would be happy to sign a new agreement if we can have a 12 month contract. This has now been drawn up and the agent want us to go in to there office and sign the new tenancy so it can start from the 1st Feb. I asked to have a copy of the tenancy to read before signing. They have advised me that I can only view the contract in there office and cannot take a copy. Is this correct? do I have any right to have copy checked peace of mind.
Kind Regards
Paul
Alex Watts :

Paul my name is ***** ***** I will help you with thos.

Alex Watts :

* this *

Alex Watts :

No, this is not correct.

Alex Watts :

You should be entitled to read the contract before you sign it and you certainly should be given a copy of the contract once it has been signed by you and the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

You are entitled to look at the contract before signing

Customer:

they said i can only look at the contract before signing in there office only and i cannot take a copy away unless signed

Alex Watts :

Well what if you wanted to take legal advice? You are entitled to do that

Alex Watts :

They can't stop you have a copy before you sign it

Alex Watts :

You have a right to see it and consult on its contents.

Alex Watts :

It could have a term which is unfaor

Alex Watts :

* unfair *

Customer:

So i have the right to take a copy away to show my own solicitor? or can they only allow my solicitor to come to the office with me

Alex Watts :

Yes you do. They can't allow you to only view it with your Solicitor at the office.

Alex Watts :

They must allow you to take a copy to read and take advice on

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Even if they say it is there policy?

Alex Watts :

Yes

Alex Watts :

Any contract you are entitled to examine and seek independent legal advice

Customer:

ok many thanks

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer:

no that is all thanks

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply