Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

I have a business lease with 8 years remaining. The landlord

I have a business lease with 8 years remaining. The landlord sold the premises to another person who said the lease would just run exactly the same, should we have had a new lease signed with the new landlord I am wanting to sell the business due to family illness and the estate agents require a copy of the lease but the only one I have is with the original landlord
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
,
Thanks question.
Did you register your lease at the Land Registry?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The lease that you executed with the previous owner is binding on the new owner of the freehold. You are not required to execute a new lease.
Basically, if the agent needs proof to market the business then you can provide him with a copy of the lease that you execute with your previous landlord. If the agent queries this because the new freehold owner is different to the freeholder/landlord named on the copy of the lease then just explain that the ownership of the freehold changed but it does not affect your leasehold interest.
If the agent does not accept that then I would go to another agent frankly, but if you have already signed with the agent then you can just download a copy of the freehold and leasehold titles from the land registry to prove that your lease is registered both as a separate leasehold title and that an appropriate entry has been made in the freehold tite:
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom