Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

Our two children have joint ownership of a small parcel of

Our two children have joint ownership of a small parcel of agricultural land (approx 3 acres and used for grazing). They wish to include their mother as the third owner by each selling her a 1/6 share each for a nominal cost. Q. As all parties are in full agreement must this transaction be carried out through a solicitor or can it be undertaken on a d.i.y. basis with the children merely seeking a change in the Land Registry documentation.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I would strongly recommend that you do not do this on a DIY basis for the following reasons:
1. The Land Registry Documents are not straight forward and if you fill in any part incorrectly it could prejudice everyone's overall ownership and proof of title;
2. A solicitor has indemnity insurance - there if anything goes wrong with the registration you will have the benefit of this insurance to fall back on;
3. As this is a sale within the family you can probably get one solicitor to act for you all - the documentation and registration fees should cost between £250-500 plus VAT solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ - you can use any local solicitor recommend by the Law Society.
Without a formal sale all you actually need is a transfer deed to transfer the property from the existing owners to the existing owners plus the new owner - https://www.gov.uk/government/.../TR1__web_friendly_PDF_.pdf - this then needs to be registered at the Land Registry.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ