75100385

My husband paid by bank transfer a substantial amount

hello
My husband paid by bank transfer a substantial amount to a tradesman who redid a bathroom. They are in dispute about an outstanding amount and the tradesman refuses to give him an invoice for the work. is there any way to force a workman to provide an invoice for work completed? We need it as the work was on a rented property.
thanks
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

How much are you owed for the outstanding work please?

Customer:

we have paid £5500 but have received no invoice. There is a bit to pay but it was a very poor job

Alex Watts :

Ok, do you know the cost of finishing or putting it right?

Customer:

I suppose we owe him another £300 or so. However the work was so poorly done that it had to be completed by someone else which cost £1000. Our tenant couldn't use the bathroom for 6 weeks and wouldn't agree to putting up the rent which cost us another £2000

Alex Watts :

Ok. So you want to claim back around £3000 in all less £300 you have so £2700

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request they finish the work and refund your losses within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

what evidence will the court need to see for this?

Alex Watts :

Photos, costs of getting the work put right, evidence of lost rent etc

Customer:

OK, thanks

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?