Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If I fence off land abutting my own land that has an untraceable

If I fence off land abutting my own land that has an untraceable owner can the Council prevent it or force me to take the fencing down?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please give me a little more information please?

Have the Council written to you, asking that you remove the fence,and if so, what reason have they given?

Is the fencing abutting a public highway?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Al,

The land is unregistered and no part of it is next to a public highway. The fence is not yet erected and we are looking at putting this place to claim adverse possession. When we have done this we want to inform the council of what we've done and are trying to anticipate any reaction.

Joan Jones.

Hi Joan,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, from what you say, there is absolutely nothing the Council can do to prevent you from putting up the fencing and nor can they legally ask you to remove it.

To be honest, there is no reason for you to contact the Council after the fencing is up- was there any particular reason why you were going to notify the Council?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We just want to put on record when adverse possession was put in place so that we can register it in 10 years time.

Thanks,

Joan Jones.

Hi Joan,

Oh ok. You could perhaps take photos with a present day newspaper in view, also!

Good Luck.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Kind Regards

Al