How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 803
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Tenant renting double room on periodic Shorthold Assured Tenancy

Resolved Question:

Tenant renting double room on periodic Shorthold Assured Tenancy agreement. Tenant wants boyfriend to stay with her. If I let him stay without any charge and he moves his furniture into the room would that give him any rights. I currently have exemption from a HMO license as the property is on the market.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

If he moves in as your tenant's guest. He will acquire no rights.


Thank you for your attention. If he contributes in cash to gas/electric etc say £50/week would that give him rights.


Let me know if you will be returning to this question

LondonlawyerJ :

Arguably it may do. Don't accept any payment from him, get it all from your tenant.

LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Property Law Questions