Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have completed on the sale of my property less than a month

I have completed on the sale of my property less than a month ago - 3 weeks to be exact. The buyer who was very difficult during the whole process was given my mobile number by the estate agents and is now asking me via text message what I would like her to do with the post arriving for me. She has asked for my new address. I have ignored the text messages as all of the important post has been redirected and is arriving at my new address. I am concerned that she may have found a problem with the house and now wants to get in touch about something. What is the usual procedure with post after completion? Is there a time frame within which a buyer can come back to you after completion and can they sue you for anything after completion? Thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As regards ***** ***** it would be normal for a Seller to arrange its re-direction, as the Buyer is under no obligation to forward any post.

The Buyer bought your property in its existing condition, and therefore has no claim against you for anything concerning the property.

Therefore, she is unable to sue you for anything- unless you have been fraudulent in any of the answers given in the Property Information Form or to enquiries raised by the Buyer's Solicitor.

Likewise, you are under no duty to answer any questions she may now have concerning the property.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it does put my mind at rest. As far as I am aware, there is nothing that we have said in the legal documents that have been fraudulent or inaccurate.

I really don't want to respond to her regarding the post. I'm quite happy for the buyer to dump the post or return to sender as I know it will just be marketing and sales post. Is it a legal formality to provide re - direction following completion?

Thanks for your reply.

If there had been a real problem with something you had done or said during the transaction, your Solicitor would have received correspondence from the Buyer's Solicitor by now!

Perhaps just send her one text saying thanks for your assistance, but please feel free to destroy any post you receive for me or return to sender.

A Seller is not under any legal duty to a Buyer to disclose their new address.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Al