Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

, my partner has a house on rent through agency. the agency

hi, my partner has a house on rent through agency. the agency took the first rent as commission and the following rent they said my partner will receive. my partner wanted to take a landlords insurance howver the agency knew the tenant personally an demailed my partner to say if he does not pay they will pay and take responsibility and for my partner not to take the landlords insurance. 3 months down the road and the agency do not pay the rent to my partner. my partner rings and emails the agency but they have been ignoring him. my partner relies on the rent to pay the mortgage. where does he stand with this where can he complain. the agency is a small family business so he cant escalate it any further as her has been emailing the owners
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

On the basis of their assurance to your partner that they would cover the rent there is really only one way forward-

Your partner would have to sue the Agents at the small claims court for a sum of the outstanding rent amount. He can issue here without the requirement of a Solicitor, to keep costs to a minimum

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Before doing so, he should probably send them a letter before action though first. Write to them giving them 14 days to pay and make clear that if they do not then you will sue. Hopefully, the letter will be enough to make them see sense and pay the outstanding rent. If they do not then issue at the small claims court.

Hope this helps and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al