Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

Please don't delete this again. The query is regarding the

Customer Question

Please don't delete this again. The query is regarding the charges as well as the many errors that have occured regarding my dealings with the local solicitors. !n the original letter they advised that I was to pay £1011 to pay £505 on signing up however when I paid the other half I was told to pay the vat as they had made an error on the original letter plus the date was on the letter was way out. On checking the drafts on one page alone there were 3 errors. Regarding thhe charge of £595 on their letter stated 'Conveyance of your property into trust seems to be rather excessive. The concern is are they up to the job. Thank you
Clare :

Clare :

I am sorry - I have been closing your questions so that only one was open (and thus costing you money)

Clare :

IYou already have one question open

Clare :

and I need to know what you are trying to achieve so that I can advise whether the amount they requested is reasonable

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

1. should I have been made to pay the vat even when the letter stated vat was included. 2. Is the amount of £595 excessive in that Saga sales quoted £249?. Since signing the contract the solicitors have reduced their costs considerbly.eg All trusts to prevent your home being sold to fund your care in future was £399 now advertised at just £99. Guess I should not have been so gullible.

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Please advised if I have been wasting your time and is this final result ie Clare has stepped out of the chat.?

Clare :

So you have arranged this transfer in the belief that it will protect your property from Care home fees - is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Yes as my only daughter lives in the USA

Clare :

How much is your property worth?

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Approximately £250,000

Clare :

Have you been warned about the substantial tax implictaions?

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Paid £175,000 in July 2010

Clare :

sorry - I asked about whether or not you have been told about the tax implications

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Not really.

Clare :

and may I ask how close to potentially needing to go into assisted care are you?

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

At 72 and reasonably fit don't expect to need care for some time

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Dear Clare, I hope you are not wasting your time on this query as I signed and paid up in August 2014 and only raised this query on advice from a friend.

Clare :

It i snot wasting my time to give assistance!

Clare :

I woudl like you to read this article

Clare :

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retirement/guides/writing-a-will/will-trusts-and-lifetime-trusts/

Clare :

and the part on lifetime trusts.

Clare :

There is no immediate tax bill - but there will be an annual one.and there is also the very real probability that it will not be effective

Clare :

HOWEVER - that i snot what you asked!

Clare :

The concerns that you have regarding the errors made by the solicitors are very sensible - if they cannot get their own invoice right how can you be sure they will get the paperwork correct

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

What are the next steps to be taken regarding contact with the local sollicitors

Clare :

As I understand it you have already paid half of the fees up front

Clare :

is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

No, I have paid the entire bill the 1st £505 paid in July followed by £505 in August and that was when the dispute arose due to having to pay extra for vat. The firm was not registered for vat when I signed the contract in July.

Clare :

That is a concern

Clare :

what is the name of the firm

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Thy Will Be Done in Goring, West Sussex

Clare :

Ah

Clare :

not a firm of solicitors

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

What is my option to take this further?

Clare :

Have you received the paperwork

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Only the drafts with many typing errors. Due to my daughter moving from her original home in Sherborn USA I was waiting for her new address advised in December.

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

! am able to scan and send the original letter to you by email or post a copy to you.

Clare :

Bearing in mind my concerns regarding the whole concept that has been "sold" to you I think your best way forward is to seek legal advice from a local Solicitor who can review the paperwork and let you know if it will actually achieve what you wish it to achieve

Clare :

If there are problems (as I fear there are) then you can look to recovering your money.

Clare :

It is more difficult as they are not covered by a Regulatory body - but it shoudl not be impossible as they will wish to avoid bad publicity

Clare :

please ask if you need further details

JACUSTOMER-ufglji1j- :

Thank you so much for your time. Kind regards

Clare :

you are welcome