wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I have made an offer . 40 acres of woodland ( not

I have made an offer for approx. 40 acres of woodland ( not for commercial use, just as amenity woodland). The offer has been accepted but I have been told by the vendor's lawyer that VAT will now have to be added to my offer - at 20%. Is this correct ?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
wingrovebuyer : Hello. VAT is not automatically charged on land, as it is subject to an exemption. However, landowners can elect to waive the VAT exemption, and many commercial properties (and woodland) are subject to VAT. You should ask to see the VAT election certificate issued to the seller by HMRC to check, but I am afraid it seems you will have to pay the VAT if you proceed. Sorry! WB