75100385

as a landlord I have an agreement of a shorthold tenancy with

as a landlord I have an agreement of a shorthold tenancy with two people named on the agreement. The agreement states 'if more than one person has signed the agreement then it is understood that the tenants are jointly responsible for the rent. One of the tenants has left before the six month period which left me with one tenant only. Is the remaining tenant responsible for the whole rent or only half of it?The present tenant says he only has to pay half? Is this correct?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes you are correct - the single tenant is joint and severally liable for 100% of the rent

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I was told by a solicitor that because it was on the agreement that we put jointly and not individually that we are now entitled only to one persons rent , we are very concerned about this .please help.We also suspect that the tenant has been renting part os the flat to other people .

Customer:

Can you please reply to my question.thank you.

Alex Watts :

Each tenant is joint and severally liable.

Alex Watts :

If they had 2 agreements it may be different

Alex Watts :

But you have a single agreement and also a clause that says they are joiny

Alex Watts :

* joint *

Alex Watts :

Therefore they are jointly and severally liable for 100%

Alex Watts :

Does that clarfy?

Customer:

can you please clarify if in fact that one tenant is now 100per cent responsible thank you i appreciate your help,

Alex Watts :

Yes one tenant is 100% liable.

Customer:

Thank you very much we are an old couple in our eighties and feel thart this tenant is taking advantage of us he is threatening to sue us and terriorising us and we dont knoe what to do, He makes several allegations which are all lies how do we get over this awfu;

Alex Watts :

Indeed. You can't be sued for anything - you have not done anything wrong

Customer:

..thank you for your help.if we need your help in the future how what do we need to do.

Alex Watts :

Once you rate this answer (the button should be at the bottom of the screen) you can ask for me in future by starting your question: FOR ALEX W

Alex Watts :

I can then pick it up

Alex Watts :

If you need more help from me today please click reply - thanks!