75100385

I am disabled and moved to Bedfordshire in 2012

Dear Sir
I am disabled and moved to Bedfordshire in 2012 I put my name on the council housing list and they said I had to be in the area for six months or have a connection in the area. I’ve now lived here for 2 years 2 months and the landlord wants me out and gave me 2 months to move out so I went back to the council to see if they can help and they say the rules have changed and they can’t do nothing for me as I don’t qualify can you please advise me what I can do.
James Basquine
Alex Watts : Hello James my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know on what basis you do not qualify?
Customer:

Hi Alex

Customer:

I am going to put the letter I sent the council and hopefully it will explain.

Further to our conversation on Monday 9th March you asked me to put my case in writing. I moved to Bedfordshire on the 18th of December 2012 because I broke up with my partner and it was her place so it was me who had to move out. I tried to get a place in London but it was so expensive I had to move this way. When I came up here I had some saving which I used up paying my bills and making up the £300 difference in the rent to what I received from housing benefits but after doing that for 2 years my saving has run out. I am on disability so cannot work I visit the hospital a couple of times a month in London which cost money traveling back and forth. When I put my name on the housing list I was told I had to be in the area for 6 months or have relatives or a connection in Bedfordshire. when my lease ran out in 2013 the landlord said he was selling the house so I had to go, so I contacted the council and they said let him take you to court and get an eviction order, then bring us the letter and we will see what we can do. Well as he couldn't sell it he said I could stay but he has told me 3 times to go then changed his mind. When my saving ran out I asked them if they were prepared to reduce the rent till I could find somewhere else to live as I was struggling to pay the rent, he said no and gave me 2 months to leave which is on the 17 of march 2015 and if I don't go he will be taking court action to evict me. When I came to the council to see what you could do for me I was told that the rules had been changed and that I had to live in the area for 3 years. You already have my medical papers and what medication I’m on but your doctor who has never seen me or me him has decided that I don't qualify for a place, well I 'm asking you to please look at my case again I will go for any medical you ask me to as I am desperate to get somewhere to live what I can afford, as the list of housing associations The council gave me to try say they don't have lists for people to go on, they only work through the council and the letting agents say they don't take people on benefit. Please can you try your best to help me? Thanks for your help James Basquine

Customer:

Hi Alex

Customer:

how long before I get an answer.

Alex Watts :

What you need to do is write to the Chief Officer of the Council and set out a complaint.

Alex Watts :

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with the response then the next stage is to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at: www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

Those are no cost options.

Alex Watts :

If that does not work then you can consider a Judicial Review. This is where the High Court examines the decision and sees whether the Council have acted lawfully and reasonably. The Court can agree with the decision or ask them to re-consider it.

Alex Watts :

Clearly there is a cost there so you want to avoid that if you can.

Alex Watts :

So the options are:

Alex Watts :

1) Write to the Chief Officer

Alex Watts :

2) Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

3) Judicial Review

Alex Watts :

EXTRA INFORMATION FOR FREE: It may be possible to get legal aid for a Judicial Review depending on your circumstances so may also be a no cost option. But you need to have exhausted all avenues of appeal

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I shall try that thank you for your help. Jim