Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

We are tenants, who have been renting a flat than

Customer Question

We are tenants, who have been renting a flat for more than 10 years. The original AST was one year fixed term, promptly renewed every year until last year, when the landlord asked to increase the rent. We agreed under the condition to fix the rent and the whole AST for 5 years, which was agreed and signed.
This March (approx. 9 months into the 5 year contract) the flat was sold with the 5 year AST extension as a condition of sale.
Is the new landlord obliged to acknowledge the existing agreement?
He says that he bought the flat with the intention of living there, but this statement is confusing since he must have known that the flat comes with long term tenants willing to stay.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

for the avoidance of doubt, Mary clarify whether the new five-year tenancy agreement was actually signed prior or after the sale or whether it is not been signed at all please?

Joshua :

*May I clarify...

Joshua :

If it has not been signed do you have a copy of the draft and have you started to pay the higher rent specified in it?

Joshua :

I believe I understand correctly from what you say that the new 5 year AST was signed by the original landlord before sale and this being the case I assume you have a copy of the signed agreement?

Joshua :

Would you like to continue with this?