Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

How do I find out whether a property is owned by Joint Tenants

Customer Question

How do I find out whether a property is owned by Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thomas :

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

You can check by downloading a copy of the register for the property from the Land Registry by paying a £4.00 fee:-

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

Look at the proprietorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If there is no such entry then the property is held as joint tenants.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Kind regards,
Tom