Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

. My lettings agent has sold out to a new agent. I want

Customer Question

Hello. My lettings agent has sold out to a new agent. I want to leave or sack my agent that I am not happy with...(issues pending). I have written to them to terminate the contract at the end of the months run of the new periodic contract for my tenant.(I have also contacted the tenant who is happy with the arrangement. My new agent informed me....."As per our terms and conditions we are due a commission for the duration of the introduced tenants or at least 3 months written notice to end the agreement." Question. As it is now a monthly periodic does this stand. and signed only with my first agent. Can I assume that if my tenant gave one months notice, this may be the easiest option out. Thankyou for all your help in the past. kind regardsXXXXXX

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, absolutely right.
If they won't agree then just give you tenant notice and sign a new agreement with him if that is your wish. You do need to give him two months' notice though if this is a period agreement.
In terms of the notice period they quote, you need to check the agreement that you had with the old agent. It might bind you to three months if this is the first term of the agreement with this tenant. That may well be considered unreasonable and so void under UCTA so you would have a defence if it came to a court challenge.
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo, So if my tenant gave one months notice to the agent but still continued to live at the premises after that month and paying rent directly to me, that would be perfectly ok.

I must say ...this would solve my problem.

I just got to get a reimbursement from them for ( fraudulently duplicating

a repair invoice charged twice, taken from my account that they deny.

Regards XXXXXXXX

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Unless your contract with the agent says that you are bound while the tenant lives there then that would be sufficient
The tenant is perfectly free to give you notice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** positive that I can bring this issue to a close.

My experiences with estate agents in the past has

amazed me of the dishonesty and unprofessionalism

that they portray.

If you want something done.......

Kind regards,XXXXXXXXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo, If the tenant gave me notice, would it be a month.

David.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a month from the tenant.
Expert:  dianne-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] com and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.co.uk/property-law/90ja6-lettings-agent-sold-new-agent-want.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.