Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have a rainwater downpipe on the front and back faces of

Customer Question

I have a rainwater downpipe on the front and back faces of my property which is connected into the Council owned house next door at gutter level. Do the Council have any authority to remove the downpipe from my property and install on their property?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify that the downpipe is physically attached to your property on your side of the boundary just connecting into the next door pipe please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your rating but I am conscious I have not provided you with a response yet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

Firstly , it is a Scottish council I am involved with regarding the down pipes.

Secondly, so far the front rain water pipe has not been altered, but they may try and reroute the down pipe later.

Both front and rear down pipes are/were physically attached to my property. The down pipes joined into a Tee piece at gutter level and the bottom of the down pipes enter the drainage system from my property.

Hope this is of assistance.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Have the pipes been discharging into council owned pipes/gutters for more than 20 years? If not do you know if there is a right in your title deeds providing a right to discharge into their pipes?