Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I own a mews house in Brent the rear wall of which lies exactly

Customer Question

I own a mews house in Brent the rear wall of which lies exactly on the Borough boundary with Westminster. The rear, Westminster, face of the wall is covered with thick rendering a patch of which has fallen off into the garden of the Westminster resident to the rear of my property. My neighbour wants the rendering repaired and is more generally concerned that the heavy rendering could be a potential threat to their young children. The owner of the property to the rear is willing to grant access to the wall for repair through his house and garden, there being no other means of ground access, but believes that the cost of repairs is entirely my responsibility.
My deeds appear to show that this rear wall is owned by me and the vendor of the property confirmed this understanding through his solicitors at the time of my purchase. However, my neighbour in the adjoining Brent mews house says that the rear mews wall is definitely a party wall as all walls forming the boundary between adjacent boroughs are deemed by law to be party walls.
The issue to be decided is whether the wall is or is not a party wall for purposes of establishing who should bear the cost of maintenance and whether liability for the wall is a matter for my Building Insurance.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please continue your search for someone with specific knowledge of this subject. I happy to wait.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I assist you with this question?