Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

On our property we have a concrete path that goes to our next

On our property we have a concrete path that goes to our next door neighbour to which he has access rights according to our deeds, I would like to level the path with a step at the opposite end of the path to his gate and then grass across the concrete path to the boundary of our property, he has not used his gate because he has had it blocked off for at least twenty years because he has a access point on the opposite side of his garden, dispite this he has objected to my doing this, he would still have access to his property in the future if he ever decided to use his blocked gate but would have to walk over grass with the step can you tell me if my would contravene his access rights or can I go ahead
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

A right of way is merely the right to pass and re-pass over an area of land.

Therefore, provided you aren't restricting this right or diverting the path, which it does not appear you are, you are perfectly entitled to grass it as well as fitting a step.

I hope this clarifies matters and assists you.

Kind Regards

Al