Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My landlord has put the property on the market, she has not

Customer Question

My landlord has put the property on the market, she has not given me notice yet but has given the managing agent two months notice. I have found another flat and given one months notice, both the landlord and managing agent are insisting that I need to remain in the flat until another short term tenant can be found. This seems very unjust, I am a victim here, I signed a lease for a year only at the beginning of this year. The property is being marketed for sale online and a For Sale sign has been erected outside. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The Tenancy Agreement is binding between you and the Landlord (and any new owner of the property).

Therefore, unless there is a break clause, you are unable to end it before the end of the fixed term and nor can your Landlord. Likewise, if your Landlord sells before the Tenancy agreement has finished, the new owner is not entitled to end the Tenancy just because he wants to- he has to honour the Agreement with you.

A lot of investors like to buy a property which has a Tenant in place, as it means they don't have the hassle of finding one themselves.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al