Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

- my neighbour is building a raised flower bed against

Hello - my neighbour is building a raised flower bed against my garage wall that boundaries with his garden. He is putting right up to the wall. He says he will use damp course against my wall. Can he legally do this? Is there legally a gap he has to leave so I have access to service my wall and drainpipe. I'm concerned about damp getting into the wall. I do not think the wall is a party wall. I can send copy of building plot map, clause in house terms relating to garage walls/boundaries and ownership (so you can confirm if not a party wall)/photographs of the construction. Please confirm you are English and dealing with English law. And what price is this service. Thanks. Robin
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.

Dear Robin

He can put a raised flower bed against the wall but if he causes damp/damage you can claim in respect of the damage caused.

Unfortunately, you have to wait until damage is done before claiming and legally he does not have to leave a gap. Warning him you will claim unless he considers the consequences may cause a re think.

I am an English solicitor who deals with English law.

If there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes

Michael