tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

, About 15 years ago, with my agreement, my neighbour

About 15 years ago, with my agreement, my neighbour replaced the privet hedge separating the rear gardens of our two properties with a concrete block wall approx. 7 ft. high x 50 ft. long.
I don't know whether the wall stands entirely on his property or astride our two properties. But I do know that it stands on the boundary that we've always accepted to be his responsibility, and that he paid for all the materials and building costs.
My question is: Do I have any right to do things to the wall provided its strength and stability is not compromised: e.g. fix a trellis on it for climbing plants, drill small holes in it to support hanging baskets, paint it, etc?
Regards,
***** *****
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this for you.
If the wall was built by him, and paid for by him, and is on his side of the boundary, then no, you have no right as such to do anything to the wall.
This is because the wall is his property, built and paid for by him, and standing on his land. You have no right to do anything to interfere with that without his consent. You can, of course, build a wall your side if you wish, and do such things as you mention, because that's then your wall and you can do with that as you wish.
Hope this helps.
Tony