75100385

I'm renting a property as an assured short-hold tenant in London

I'm renting a property as an assured short-hold tenant in London with two other tenants. My contract is expiring in a months time and we have to move out as our landlord has decided to sell the property. The house is not in a good condition, painting is well overdue as well as the replacement of all carpets. I moved in 4 months ago, replacing a previous tenants. I received no inventory or other written document that described the condition of the house at the time when I moved in.
The agency managing the property has given indication that they would require us to hand over the property in the same condition as it was when the original tenancy contract started, which was 4 years ago.
My question is, can I be made responsible for any damage cause by previous tenants? Thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Does the agreement say that you can be responsible for damage caused by other tenants at all please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for getting back so quickly. Here are the relevant points from the contract verbatim:

“The Tenant” includes the successors in title. Whenever there is more than one Tenant all

covenants and obligations can be enforced against all of the Tenants jointly and against each

individually"

other than that it only states that the landlord shall be reimbursed for the damages caused by the tenant during the tenancy

I have not cause any damages, however, there were e.g. a few broken window handles before I moved in, as well as staines on the wall, most likely caused by previous tenants.

Ok. If you did not cause damage then you are not liable. If the Landlord tries to blame you he would have to show 2 things:
1) It was not like that when you moved in
2) You caused the damage
If the Landlord can not show this then no monies are payable. The fact there was no move in inspection makes it difficult for him to blame you.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.