75100385

We compaint tp the TPO against the agents but, TPO found that

We compaint tp the TPO against the agents but, TPO found that it is the Landlords responsibilities. We have written to the landlord and the landlord says its the agents who are managing the property.
We are 3 student friends who were desperate to rent a 3 bed flat. We found one to our liking resonable, rent, paid a deposit but were let down by the agents with the excuse " the landlord rent it elsewhere" and offered us another flat at much higher rent and not as good as the previous one. We accepted because we were desperate. When we moved in we were dissapointed with the bad state of the flat. The rent is £25.500pa for 2 bed & a box room classed as a bedroom. We were taken advantage of and asked the landlord and the agents to reduce the rent. They both refused. What can we do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Sorry what do you mean by TP and TPO?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TPO= The Property Ombudsman.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Our situation is that the premses we've let from the agents, its not worth the money of £25500 pa. + utility bills we are paying at the moment. This premises in the present state of repairs are worth £15000-£18000 on the market.

As we explained previously after we were let down for the first flat, we became desperate to find an alternativeplace th live.

The agents knew this and took advantage of our inexperience and ignorance of property letting and offerred the present flat,who they sold to the present landlord.

We have written to the agents and the landlord and asked them to reduce the rent but, they refused.

The Property Ombudsman adviced us to seek independent legal advice.

So the property is not worth the rent you are paying, in short?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES

Has the property deteriorated since you had it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO. We have moved in the premises since 20/09/2015.

Ok - so its a property which you have been overcharged for?
It hasnt got any worse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO

Ok. Its bad news then I am afraid. Unless there has been any dilapidations of the property, ie has got worse sadly there is nothing you can do. You could have viewed the property before you purchased it and seen it or yourself. Just because you are being overcharged does not make the contract illegal.
Sadly it is a contract and the Landlord is entitled to charge whatever rent he wants. The market (ie supply and demand) will deem whether or not the Landlord can rent it out. So sadly you have no cause of action against the current Landlord.
However if the existing Landlord had signed a contract with you therefore he would be in breach of contract.You would be able to claim higher rent charged for this property. But if the existing Landlord did NOT sign any contract with you sadly you have no action against that one.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest
You have rated BAD SERVICE despite me giving you the legal answer?
What else do you want to know?
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.