Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My husband & I rented a property via a letting agency on a

Customer Question

My husband & I rented a property via a letting agency on a short-hold tenancy from August 2nd 2014. Prior to signing the tenancy agreement we where given assurance from the letting agency that the missing greenhouse glass would be replaced, four months later the glass has not been replaced so my husband contacted a company to come and give us a quote to replace the glass at our cost, Upon inspection of the specialist greenhouse company we where advised that the greenhouse was a Health and safety risk and not fit for purpose, We advised the letting company of this, The landlord sent his gardener out to inspect the damaged greenhouse and also advised the owner it was not fit for purpose. I waited six months for a builder to visit the property to erect a new greenhouse which was much smaller, they erected the greenhouse in a different part of the garden, they didn't erect it correctly and subsequently the poly carbonate panels and door began falling out. The house owner then sent a conservatory company he had previously done business with to come and dismantle and re-erect the greenhouse on the same footings as the original greenhouse, I was unaware at the time that this company had advised the owner that the greenhouse was not fit for purpose and sub-standard ( a factory second). Again the panels began to fall out, following several telephone calls to the letting agency asking when the greenhouse would be repaired or replaced, I received a telephone call from the conservatory company telling me off their prior conversation with the owner and that they would not be visiting the property to repair or replace the greenhouse. Being disabled and unable to work i spend time growing vegetable and flowers for the hospice my mother resides. I have lost due plants due to the greenhouse open to the elements and requested once more that this matter is managed with some urgency, Today i received a call from the letting agency advising me the owner is not repairing or replacing the greenhouse, the builder the owner originally hired to purchase and erect the greenhouse have gone into receivership. I have asked the letting agency given this fact would the owner be prepared to terminate the tenancy agreement early and give them one months notice from today's date. I have been told the owner would not agree to terminate the agreement early. Could you advise me of my rights please.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was the sole purpose of the renting just for the greenhouse please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

we rented a 4 bed property which included a greenhouse.