How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70820
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Have a property which i am renting, and would now like to sell

This answer was rated:

have a property which i am renting, and would now like to sell but the tenants refuse to move.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i would now like to sell the property but the tenants refuse to leave and would like to know how i would go about evicting them and what rights i have.

What type of contract are they on please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a rolling 6 monthly contract

When should that end ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as i have given them 2 months notice twice it should be next month on the 10 of june.

Well, it depends.
Is this a fixed AST? If so, you cannot just give notice I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry dont understand what is a fixed ast.

Assured shorthold tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is a periodical tenancy a 2 month rolling on and any party can give notice during that time.

If it is a periodic then it is not a rolling six month contract.
However, a periodic tenancy agreement can be ended by either party by serving a S21 notice on or before the rent date. That must be no less than two months and must run from the rent date.
If the tenant still refuses to go then you would need to seek a possession order although that should not be difficult to obtain. It may be slower than you would like but it is not going to be refused.
If they still refuse to pay then you can get the bailiffs to put them out if necessary although it rarely comes to that.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help how woul i obtain a s21 notice.

W H Smiths sell them for about £15.
Or you can download them from here|61830742033&gclid=CM2-0tPHrcUCFQzJtAodIT8A3g