LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I lived in my house years. My hedge at bottom of garden.

Customer Question

I lived in my house for 15 years. My hedge at bottom of garden.
Separates my garden and the field. Builders have bought the field and have bull dozed my hedge saying it is on their land. I have been maintain my hedge for 15 years. Where do I stand leaguly?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. The question of where a boundary lie can be hard to resolve. The places to look to start with are the land registry where you can search the title register for a description of the property's extent or the title plan for an indicative title plan. This can be done on line This will not always lad to a clear answer. If you have your old conveyancing documents you can check your solicitor's report on title or look for the parcel's clause in the contract for sale where the extent of the land should be described.
Where do you think the boundary lies? How have the builder's justified their assertion that the hedge is on their land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was under the impression that the hedge was on the end of my land. The neighbours reminded me, that it was mine so I needed to maintain it. So I always have.

The builders have not come back yet. I spoken to them last Tuesday.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called a survey who took measurements and said hedge was mine but builders are ignoring all the evidence I have produced. RSPB said unless I have photographic proof and if there is some evidence of nesting. Of course builders cleared it all away as quickly as possible. Police said I need to get a solicitor and take it to court. I can not afford it so trasspassing. Steeling by builders is aloud. Now I know why people take law into their own hands. I solute them .

As a starting point you should either contact your conveyancing solicitors or, if you have the documents from your purchase look to see how they describe the extent of your land. Look for the parcels clause.
You can also get a copy of the land registry entries and plans for your land on line at HM Land Registry.