cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

How far away from the windows of a residential property is

How far away from the windows of a residential property is a neighbouring landowner allowed to erect a 2 metre tall fence which would severely obstruct light going into the property ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please find out the answer as quickly as possible. Money was paid upfront , question should not be difficult to answer - I am surprised that it is taking so long actually. We paid in good faith upfront. A precise answer required asp please. Hazel Martin-Boucher and Colin McKelvie.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. We do offer a refund if you are not satisfied.
Expert:  cityguru replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. I am sorry you had to wait for an answer. I am also sorry to say that your question is not capable of a precise answer. Landowners have no right to a view. You may have what us known as a right to light but there is no precise measure of how much light. The general rule of thumb is that if the angle from the window sill to the top of the adjoining wall/fence is less than 45% it is ok. So it is unlikely that a 2 meter fence would obstruct your right to light unless it was closer than a foot or so. So if the neighbour is building a fence on their own boundary it may be difficult to prevent.
Please let me know if I can assist further. Please be aware that like most experts on Just Answer I am not online all the time but I will respond as soon as I can.
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience: solicitor