LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I am currently a tenant in a property with an Assured Shorthold

I am currently a tenant in a property with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement. My contract is from August of last year to August of this year. I informed my landlord that I was no longer able to stay in the property as I could no longer afford to do so but that I was giving him 1 months notice to which he agreed and said that I could move out. He has now informed me he does not intend to return my deposit and that there is nothing I can do about this. I am surprised by this as we had agreed that this would not be the case. I am financially strapped and this is important to me. I do not have a break clause in my agreement but understand that as long as the tenant and landlord agree to terminate the tenancy then I should not lose my deposit. Can you please advise?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
As long as there was an agreement that you could leave after a month's notice then you are right. The deposit is only to do with damage to the property. Your landlord is under an obligation to put your deposit in a deposit guarantee scheme. Did he do this? If so which one?