LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

We have a laurel hedge on our boundary with our neighbours.

We have a laurel hedge on our boundary with our neighbours. Our neighbours gets their side of the hedge cut but then sends us the bill, can they do this?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Ordinarily the answer to this would be that you do not need to pay anything.
Can you tell me a little more please. For example who planted the hedge and when, is it situated on the boundary or is it on your side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for that. The hedge was planted maybe some 6 years ago, by the owner at the time. The property had been refurbished (it was an old cow shed). When we first moved into the refurbished property (nearly 3yrs ago) we had the hedge cut on both sides - ours and the neighbours. We did that once but have cut our side once more. It's quite a long hedge running the length of one side of our garden (maybe a hundred feet). I fear we have set a president by cutting it.
Our neighbour has since had the hedge cut on their side and sent us the bill. They also don't like the height of the hedge which is about 10' high and would like it higher as they say they can see into our garden.
Regards Sue.
I don't see any reason in law why you should pay anything towards their cutting costs unless there is some agreement in writing somewhere that the owner of your property will bear the costs.
The fact that you have paid on one occasion does not create a precedent, nor does what theprevious owner chose to do bind you.