Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have a shared access road directly in front of (running the

Customer Question

I have a shared access road directly in front of (running the whole length) of my driveway. This shared access road is a private shared road between me and two other neighbours opposite me. There is a small recess to this road which is just big enough to fit a car in which is directly at the side of my house. Annoyingly my neighbours allow their visitors to use this frequently. It is annoying because it is very close to my front window. I have checked my deeds and boundaries on them but its not clear where the boundary line is.
1. How can I find out my boundary line? i have got my plans from the land registry and its not clear.
2. Could I buy this recess? if yes from who and where do i find this information out.
I have particularly troublesome neighbours so speaking to them is not an option
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

1. May I ask who owns the road please? Is it owned between all of you jointly or by a third party?
  2. Do you have a right of way over the entire drive including the recess?
  3. Does your boundary kink in and back out again on the plan where the recess is to give any clues or is it simply not clear from looking at the plan one way or another - this can often be the case if there are no buildings or features which to refer to especially?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Joshua

the small road is owned by all of us jointly (although I did discover via the land registry) that one of my 2 neighbours opposite don't own the free hold - I own mine and the 2nd neighbour does to (unsure if this makes a difference?)

From what I can understand from the old fashioned wording in my title deeds, we all have shared access and we all have to share the access. The recess which adjoins the shared access road looks as though it is included in the shared access road , however, from the land registry plans (there is a red boundary line around it) my driveway and the recess has the red boundary line cutting the recess in half.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I don't suppose you have the title documentation in electronic form which you could email to me? It is not essential and I can assist without sight of it but it may be easier for me and more helpful still for you if I have been able to look at it. If it is not convenient it doesn't matter too much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello, thank you for your answer. Yes i can send you a photograph of the plans, i just need your email address please

Thanks faye