75100385

I was just wondering were i stand i have lived in a rented

Customer Question

hi i was just wondering were i stand i have lived in a rented property for 8 years now and for the past 6 years i havent seen any landlord or even paid any rent to him i have renovated the property to high standards would i soon be able to claim this house as my own as this landlord clearly isnt interested in this property
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What type of tenancy did you have please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was a 6 month tenancy

Ok. You can apply to the land registry for adverse possession but you need ten years for this. Then when you apply they notify the owner of your intention to seek the land possession. The owner will have a limited time to object. If they do not then it is transferred to you. If they do object then your claim for adverse possession fails.
But you do not gain any more rights for being there eight years. You need to register the land after ten years.
Please see
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so if he rejects can i appeal that and what happends if he doesnt reply and what is the usual timescale for him to reply ?

It's down to the Land Registry for timescale. No you can't appeal, it's not your land sadly.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but this landlord has abandoned the property i dont even have any contact address or phone numbers for him

That does not automatically mean it is yours. You have to register it at the land registry under adverse possession rules.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.