Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am current leasing a fully furnished two bedroom two bathroom

Customer Question

I am current leasing a fully furnished two bedroom two bathroom flat, I met my flatmate via a mutual friend and we signed the lease together. At the time he has told me that he was in full time employment but he is not actually working although he pays the bills on time.
In the two months he has caused substantial damage to the flat mainly in his room and the bathroom he solos occupy. He has scratched his headboard with a knife making a damage of 10cm by 25 cm (which disturbs me a lot). I had a word with him about 3 days ago and we agreed that he would be liable for this damages and also would fix it prior to moving out. I followed up and he has denied that this conversation has ever taken place and told me that we are jointly responsible for damages to the flat as stated on the contract.
Now I would like to know where do I stand with it and if I should approach the landlord? The contract has a 6 month break clause but I would like to stay in the flat.
Many thanks, Patrick
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you have an agreement signed by you both please?