75100385

I've been living in a rented property 20 months,

I've been living in a rented property for about 20 months, but am not on the tenancy agreement (and never have been).
One of my flatmates is the sole tenant listed on the tenancy agreement.
Since July last year, I have been making payments on behalf of the 'household' (the named tenant, myself, and one other flatmate who is not on the tenancy agreement either) for household bills and to the landlord for rent each month.
The current tenancy agreement is for a fixed term of 12 months, due to expire in September. I don't believe there is a break-clause.
I need to leave in mid July because I am leaving the country. I have given a months' notice of this.
The landlord says she still expects me to pay my share of the rent until the lease ends in September.
Can you tell me what my obligations are in this regard?
Many thanks,
Katherine
Hello Katherine my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Does it say you are jointly liable for ANY rent at all please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I'm not on the tenancy agreement so there is nothing in writing saying I'm liable for anything. I'm not sure what obligations/liabilities are implied on me though (particularly given how long I've lived here).

The landlord has indicated she intends to sell the property so won't be renewing the tenancy agreement in September. However, my visa for the UK expires next month, so I have no choice but to leave before then.

Given there will only be two months left on the lease, it will be very difficult to find someone else to take over my room/share of the rent, but the landlord wants the full rent paid regardless.

I realise I probably have no rights for getting my bond back (it was paid in the sole tenant's name, not mine) but I don't know where I stand for anything else.

Ok, unless there is anything in writing YOU are not liable. The only person liable is that person named on the tenancy agreement. As you say you are unlikely to get the bond back as it was paid by someone else. But for the tenancy agreement you are not liable for anything. So you can leave when you want to.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.