75100385

I've just moved into a new house with my parents. The

I've just moved into a new house with my parents. The landlord has lived in the property since 2002, so she's not a property investor, she's just moved abroad and put her house up for rent for extra income i presume.
After two weeks of living here we got a phone call from the estate agency saying a source has claimed they have been informed by a source that we have four people living in the house. My problem is here; The landlord doesn't live in the UK, which means it's one of our neighbours spying on us. I'd just like to add that my girlfriend visits me three times a week to support me in the recovery of my severe illness. I feel as though we now have no privacy, we have been here for a month now and we cut the grass every weekend, and the estate agency rang up again and claimed that they had been informed we're not looking after the garden. For another to see our garden they either need to climb our fence, or be our next door neighbour.
I'm not concerned about being prosecuted because I know we're doing nothing wrong, but it annoys me that someone is spying on us, tenancy agreements are confidential so no one should even know how many people should be here except us, the landlord and the agency in the first place. Also, the estate agency refused to disclose where the landlord lived - which after doing research is our right as a tenant... so the estate agency seem a bit fishy also.
Am i within my rights to have any leg to stand on here? are they breaching any laws? What advice would you give?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
'Are they breaching any laws?' - who do you mean?
Ales
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I didn't check any of my English. My fault!

I didn't really mean breaching laws, but we're clearing being watched! It doesn't feel asthough what is happening can be physically legal? I know literally nothing about law in regards ***** ***** though so i may be completely wrong.

If more information regarding the situation please do let me know.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
But you dont know who by?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The estate agency won't tell us who unfortunately. The landlord lives abroad though... My girlfriends car has been coming pretty frequently, so someone close must be keeping a very close eye on the house, and back garden for that matter.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sadly there isn't anything you can do about nosey neighbours. Some people are just looking into other peoples business. Sadly there isnt a law about it. Its not invasion of privacy, that would only apply if they were recording in window etc.
Its just a case of being very nosey. Sadly there is no law being breached.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's fine, I didn't expect you to preform miracles! I just thought because the landlord has a 'nosey neighbour' feeding back information to herself and the estate agents it would would be classified as some form of harassment or something I don't know. It feels like we're doing something wrong for inviting people back to our home. The best solution is the probably get away from the situation when the contract expires I assume?

Two things that I would be really pleased if you could answer and that is;

- How many days a week are we legally allowed people to come over?

- What would be the process of the agency 'looking into things' in terms of apparently having someone living here that isn't already on the tenancy?

Thank you for all your help, I bet this really complex case has really got your adrenaline pumping! (Sorry for basically wasting your time).

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
People can come over as often as they want as long as it doesnt breach the tenancy agreement. The agency cant do anything really unless it breaches the agreement.
Does that help?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.