LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

A neighbour's tree,s block my light what can i do about?

Customer Question

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Can you tell me a little more please. What part of your home (eg Garden or inside rooms) is being affected and how long has it been going on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The two tree's back unto the end of my house and the two others either side cutting out light in the summer considerably, these trees are about 40 feet high and we are worried that the roots may affect our houses.

If the light is light to the garden then there is nothing you can do about it. There is no right to light for an outside area.
There is a right to natural light inside the house. However this right is acquired through uninterrupted use of the right for 20 years or more. As we are talking about trees it is unlikely (unless they are very fast growing eg Leylandi) that you will have had the uninterrupted enjoyment of the light for 20 years.
A far as damage to your house is concerned then this can be a real worry but there is little you can do unless you can prove there is risk I am afraid. If damage is caused then the neighbour might well be legally responsible in nuisance or negligence. He would have to compensate you for the cost of repairs and for inconvenience etc if damage was caused. If you can show that damage is imminent you might be able to go to court and get an order requiring him to take steps to prevent the harm. In order to do this, as a first step. you would need evidence from a surveyor about the risk.
Here is a useful ink to the RICS website re Right to light https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land
I know this is not the advice you were hoping to hear but it is importnt that I give truthful answers and don't raise false hope.