LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Can I expect a tenant to climb and ladder to cut a very high

Customer Question

Can I expect a tenant to climb and ladder to cut a very high hedge or is this a beach of health and safety
Many thank s
Elaine Falconer
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
I don't think you can require a tenant to do it himself. If the tenancy places on obligation on the tenant to keep the hedge tidy then strictly speaking the obligation is on him to find a way to do it safely or to employ someone to do it.
If the lease is silent on this then it would be sensible for the landlord to send in a gardener to deal with it. Not particularly about health and safety so much as liability for compensation if he hurt himself trimming the hedge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for this can you also advise if we are to do the garden is our landlord responsible for providing gardening tools etc to do the job or are we expected to buy them

There are no specific legal rules on this and it is down to individual agreement in each situation.
Who is we? A letting/managing agent?