LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I have just replaced our fence in our garden having no idea

I have just replaced our fence in our garden having no idea my neighbour was on holiday. They have returned claiming we have taken a foot of their land, screaming and shouting. It is clear we haven't as the original concrete bollards are still there and the fence is well within them. They have sent a threatening letter stating we need to move it. What are our rights?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. I assume you have responsibility for maintaining the border/fence on that side.
If the fence is in the same place as the old one and demonstrably so then you will have no legal problem. Are they threatening legal action?
It might be a good idea to photograph it and especially if you can show the old bollards in the photo. Do you have any old photos of the garden with the old fence in the same plae or do youhave a title plan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the fence was ours and yes the old concrete bollards are still in place. I think he has the hump as he has been encroaching on the fence line for a period of years by building up rubble on his side forcing the fence back. Being that this is a wire fence replaced by a wooden fence.
OK it seems to me that you are in the right here. What is he threatening you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He wants us to move the fence by one foot and wants us to seek permission of we want to replace any of OUR fences.