I m subletting a room which has no window as it was the

Customer Question

Hi I m subletting a room which has no window as it was the living room. I don t have real door but a wall made up to separate entrance of my flatmate . I pay the same rent of others to my flatmate . Can I decide to pay less if the flatmate treated me not well?
I cannot change house right now but will do in the next months
Thanks for advice
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have an agreement in writing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No just verbal

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can ask for a reduction now or on previous months. If he refuses then you can take him to Court.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a reduction within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not reduce rent you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but what you mean for losses?

I asked them already as passing from the corridor is a bit annoying and there is no much fresh air in the room and they refuse . If I decide to pay less then rent and say tgen than I can pay 350 now but will leave in septber . Can they still evict me ?

So do I have to talk with flatmate or landlord ?and write it down

I cannot afford to pay solicitor right now and get involved into court but if I m right do I have the right to complain all this ?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes they can. You need to write formally and set out why you owe less. Then if they disagree you should sue and not just reduce the rent.
Its a small claim so you wont need a Solicitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also if I decide to pay less can and Lord evict me . I plan to move out in September anyway

Optional Information:
Province/Country relating to question : England

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes the Landlord can. He does NOT need a Court order.
I am sorry.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.